Our Mercy Ministry is administered by the Diaconate, which seeks to Restore People with the gospel of Jesus Christ by reaching out to people in the First Pres congregation who are in crisis or in challenging circumstances and offering help in assessing their needs and working together to find solutions. The Deacons, who are nominated, trained, elected and appointed by First Pres Elders and members, focus on extending mercy and compassion. God’s mercy moves him to relieve suffering and misery. Mercy is the impulse that makes us sensitive to hurts and needs in others and makes us desire to alleviate them. Our purpose is to show God’s love and mercy by trying to help people out of difficult circumstances and to be facilitators of the work God is doing in their lives.
How do the Deacons help?
By extending mercy in the following areas:
- Physical Needs: Food, Clothing, Rent, Utilities and Transportation
- Medical Needs: Health, Dental
- Counseling Needs: Spiritual Counsel and Instruction, Drug and/or Alcohol Counsel, Financial Planning, Occupational Counsel, Legal Assistance
This will be accomplished with either financial assistance or referrals to other resources that could address the areas of need. Note: First Presbyterian does not issue payments or provide cash assistance to any Mercy Ministry recipient. All assistance is paid to an issuer of an invoice (e.g., the power company).
How do I get in touch with the Deacons?
- If you are a First Pres member share your need with your Parish Deacon.
- If you are not a First Pres member contact the church office, 706.262.8859.
To apply for mercy assistance, please complete:
Mercy Ministry Assistance Application (Print, fill out, return to the church office, 615 Telfair Street, Augusta 30901; or
Submit the following online application.